Location: Ontario, Canada
Surnames/tags: Ontario Peter Robinson Upper Canada
Welcome to the Peter Robinson Settlers free-space page. Peter Robinson was asked by the British government to manage an emigration scheme that would settle impoverished Irish families in Upper Canada (now Ontario). The first group of emigrants, arriving in 1823, were located for the most part in the townships of Ramsay, Huntley, Pakenham and Goulbourn on the Ottawa River, near or adjacent to the Lanark and military settlements. A second, much larger, group of emigrants was brought over in 1825, locating in townships in the Peterborough area, most notably Douro, Otonabee, Asphodel, Smith, Emily, Ennismore, and Ops. From 1829-1833, Robinson's agents helped settle immigrants in townships in the Peterborough area, in Nottawasaga Bay, and in Adelaide and Warwick townships. The aim of this free-space page is to develop profiles for these families.
If you have ancestors who were Peter Robinson Settlers or have an interest in this early non-indigenous community, please join us in creating profiles and adding them to the Category: Peter Robinson Settlers list. To add the category to your profile, place (double brackets) Category: Peter Robinson Settlers (double brackets) above the Biography heading on the profile. This automatically adds the name to our list.
Please add any new resources you have found to the Resources list below.
- Laurie Cruthers – I’m the Project Coordinator for the Ontario Team and am interested in connecting early families in Ontario.
- Rich Devlin - Irish in the Military
- Morgan Mulligan - Proud Peter Robinson Settler Descendant.
- Please add your name here.
- An excellent summary, written in 1858, of the challenges the Emigrants endured upon arrival to Canada, and the impressive growth of many small townships in and around Peterborough County. Directory of the United Counties of Peterborough & Victoria, 1858
- List of Irish immigrants who came in the Peter Robinson immigration scheme of 1825 and were settled in the Peterborough district at that time, 1900
- The Peterborough Examiner ran a series of articles on 'The Peter Robinson Settlers' in 2015: Peterborough Examiner
- Geni Peter Robinson Irish Settlers in Canada Project (200 year anniversary celebration 2025) Geni.com Peter Robinson Settlers Project
- Peter Robinson's papers and correspondence Peter Robinson’s Papers and Correspondence